Take stock of how much light is entering your house. When your house is dark, it feels like a cave and it won’t matter even if you have the most incredible interior.
Open all curtains and windows while it’s bright outside. Now observe each room. Does it feel dark and cold? It may be fine if you’re used to living this way but buyers may be quick to cross your house off their list for lack of appeal.
- Remove ornaments or anything hanging on your windows. The glass panes must be clear and unobstructed.
- Cut back tree limbs that block natural light reaching your windows. Similarly, remove indoor shelves and plants blocking your windows.
- Window treatments: replace dark or heavy looking drapes.
- Consider shutters, sheer white panels, or cut-to-measure blinds at a home center. They are relatively inexpensive and you can revitalize your rooms in one weekend
- Mount your valance higher to let in more light while making the window appear larger.
- Yet another possibility is to leave windows bare for a fresh, on-trend look.
- Remove doors and let adjacent rooms share their light. This works well with dining and living rooms.
- Reflect light with strategically placed mirrors. Do this sparingly or risk being labeled as the house of mirrors.
- Replace the solid door of your study room with a French door so light can permeate to the rest of the house. To upgrade inexpensively, buy a French glass insert and install it yourself.
- Clean your windows and skylights. Layers of grime can filter out an amazing amount of light.
- Consider a new decorative glass insert for your main door. Glass inserts are economical and easy to install. You’re guaranteed to buy lots of light for your foyer.
Please note that this Scottsdale Real Estate Blog is for informational purposes and not intended to take the place of a licensed Scottsdale Real Estate Agent. The Szabo Group offers first class real estate services to clients in the Scottsdale Greater Phoenix Metropolitan Area in the buying and selling of Luxury homes in Arizona. Award winning Realtors and Re/MAX top producers and best real estate agent for Luxury Homes in Scottsdale, The Szabo group delivers experience, knowledge, dedication and proven results. Contact Joe Szabo at 480.688.2020, [email protected] or visit www.scottsdalerealestateteam.com to find out more about Scottsdale Homes for Sale and Estates for Sale in Scottsdale and to search the Scottsdale MLS for Scottsdale Home Listings.