1) Don’t expect more out of zoning than is realistic. Many other factors, like the market and availability of infrastructure, are stronger determinants of land development success.
2) Zoning’s just a small part of a much larger federal, state, and local system of regulations that govern land use. To have success, you must learn how to juggle the various permits, restrictions, and approvals required to develop land.
3) There are usually several different solutions to any given zoning problem. Always consider alternative strategies, as well as how best to employ them.
4) Thoroughly research zoning regulations. You may find a loophole hidden away in some unexpected corner, like a graphic table or an appendix.
5) Read each word carefully. Properly understanding precise definitions can mean great value (or misunderstanding them, tragic loss).
6) Modest changes in zoning ordinances can sometimes mean vastly increased (or decreased) profits. Know which is which.
7) State and federal laws can sometimes override local regulations. Make sure you know if this applies in your situation.
8) Make sure your neighbors are obliged to provide written notice of any planned changes to their property, to prevent any unpleasant surprises. Consider instituting private covenants so that your neighborhood is protected from such unwanted alterations.
9) Before any local zoning proceedings, make sure you’re thoroughly prepared for any argument, and cultivate as many friends in high places as you can. This may be your only chance to win favorable changes.
10) Develop strategies for every administrative proceeding and litigation so you know exactly what to do to maximize your potential for success.
Please note that this Scottsdale Real Estate Blog is for informational purposes and not intended to take the place of a licensed Scottsdale Real Estate Agent. The Szabo Group offers first class real estate services to clients in the Scottsdale Greater Phoenix Metropolitan Area in the buying and selling of the best Luxury homes in Arizona. Award winning Realtors and Re/MAX top producers and best real estate agent for Luxury Homes in Scottsdale, The Szabo group delivers experience, knowledge, dedication and proven results. Contact Joe Szabo at 480.688.2020, [email protected] or visit www.scottsdalerealestateteam.com to find out more about Scottsdale Homes forSale and Estates forSale inScottsdale and to search the Scottsdale MLS for Scottsdale Home Listings.