Hazardous to handle and store, chlorine can irritate the skin and the eyes. It’s no wonder, then, that many people opt for salt water pools, which offer some big advantages over traditional chlorinated swimming pools. Salt water pools do have some downsides you need to consider before purchasing one, however. To decide which type of pool might be right for you, consider the pros and cons of each.
Salt Water Systems vs. Traditional Chlorinated Pools
If you don’t know much about salt water filters and pools, the facts may surprise you. For one, they aren’t anywhere close to being as salty as seawater. In fact, they have only about one-tenth the salinity. Second, they aren’t completely chlorine-free. Instead, the system uses a process called electrolysis to create chlorine, which disinfects the water.
Salt Water Pool Advantages
- Because they have lower chlorine levels, salt water pools are much gentler on the eyes and skin.
- Research indicates that salt water systems may be safer than chlorine pools, which force owners to store and handle unsafe chemicals. Likewise, studies suggest that regular exposure to heavily chlorinated swimming pools could pose long-term risks.
- Salt water pools produce softer-feeling water, which many find desirable.
- Because the salt cells in a salt water system only produce chlorine as needed, the pools require far less maintenance when compared to traditional chlorinated swimming pools.
Disadvantages of Salt Water Pools
- Salt water pools require a larger initial investment, making them more expensive than traditional pools.
- More complex than traditional pools salt water pools often require experienced technicians even for minor problems.
- Salt can cause damage to certain materials, so you may have to avoid using specific types of heaters, fixtures, underwater lighting, liners and even some types of masonry work.
Please note that this Scottsdale Real Estate Blog is for informational purposes and not intended to take the place of a licensed Scottsdale Real Estate Agent. The Szabo Group offers first class real estate services to clients in the Scottsdale Greater Phoenix Metropolitan Area in the buying and selling of Luxury homes in Arizona. Award winning Realtors and Re/MAX top producers and best real estate agent for Luxury Homes in Scottsdale, The Szabo group delivers experience, knowledge, dedication and proven results. Contact Joe Szabo at 480.688.2020, info@ScottsdaleRealEstateTeam.com or visit www.scottsdalerealestateteam.com to find out more about Scottsdale Homes for Sale and Estates for Sale in Scottsdale and to search the Scottsdale MLS for Scottsdale Home Listings.